Stone is the basis of the mine. It's the most basic material that you can find, and also the most common material.
There are eight layers of stone, which are generally the same but appear different due to stone color and lighting:
- 1. Gray Stone - ranging from 0 - 10m. The only source of Moonstone and Opal. This is the lightest stone as it is very close to the surface.
- 2. Gray Stone - ranging from 10-100m. This is the second lightest stone and this is in the actual mine.
- 3. Gray Stone - ranging from 100-300m. This is where it starts to get dark, but it's not that dark to the point where you have to hold your lantern.
- 4. Gray Stone - ranging from 300-600m. This is the darkest part of the gray stone layer as it takes up half of the entire layer, after this point the lighting only changes colors, it doesn't shrink.
- 5. Black Stone - ranging from 600 - 1000m. The darkest layer. Most radioactive ores spawn here.
- 6. Blue Stone - ranging from 1000 - 2000m. The only source of Baryte, Rainbonite, Azure, and Mithril.
- 7. Red Stone - ranging from 2000 - 3000m. Bright Red, surprisingly bright especially after Blue Stone. The only source of Painite and Dragonglass.
- 8. Green Stone - ranging from 3000 - 5000m (it goes past 5833m, but it would stop at 5000m if a new layer would ever be added). Green, zombies are inside blocks, the only source of Newtonium.
The Stone Pickaxe is the starter pickaxe in Azure Mines. This was the only pickaxe in Azure Mines until berezaa added the forge that allowed users to craft pickaxes. Though it is the starter pickaxe, and thus considered horrible by most players, it actually performs well in the higher layers and rivals pickaxes such as Amethyst until around 1000m. Note: Stone does have a crafting recipe that involves 5 coal and 3 stone, but it can't be seen as the moment you join the game automatically crafts it to you.
Note: If you aren't aware, protected stone is not mineable, and just prevents you mining to the surface after going a certain distance across the X or Z axis. It only appears in Layer 1, but can be bypassed by the 16 down, 15 across and then the staircase strategy.
- Stone was the first Ore added into Azure Mines, created in the beta stage.
- Stone is one of only two ores lacking an icon on the actual rock itself because it technically isn't an ore, but it is still considered one by many users.
- The first 4 layers share the same stone color, gray. But it looks different due to lighting.
- The 8th and final layer would probably stop at 5000m, as that's where newtonium stops spawning. This was the same with painite, it stopped at 3000m so users assumed a new layer would be at 3000m. However many users don't believe any new layer will be added at 5000m because it exceeds the max optimal depth of 3700m!
- Although it is technically impossible to MINE Protected stone, it is possible to destroy it with a Boomite pickaxe's explosion or the Serendibite pickaxe's void glitch.
- Berezaa put FallingPartsDestroyHeight at -30000, but the limit is -50000. If berezaa put it at -50000 then the game would go down to 9166m. But right now there is no reason for berezaa to increase it again for a very long time.